Benchmark Evaluation - M420-51
back to benchmark listing
|| Director, Financial Services and Accountability
||Seniors and Community Supports
||Senior Financial Officer
|Levels to D.M.:
|Minimum Recruitment Standard:
back to top
Reporting to the Senior Financial Officer (SFO), the Director is responsible for a broad spectrum of services in the areas of financial reporting, financial operations and systems, compliance and evaluation, and cost-sharing with the Federal Government. The Director is also responsible for the Ministry’s Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Framework to identify and determine mitigation strategies for managing risks. These responsibilities are discharged through the management and direction of professional and technical staff with expertise in a variety of financial disciplines.
Financial reporting responsibilities include overseeing the preparation of the Ministry’s consolidated financial statements and all its entities (including six Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD) Community Boards) for publication in the Ministry Annual Report. Financial operations and systems responsibilities include ensuring appropriate business and financial processes and policies are in place and operating effectively for ministry financial related operations, IMAGIS, Procurement Cards, EPS, and ExClaim, and accounting officer functions. The compliance and evaluation function assists the Deputy Minister, Executive Committee and Senior Financial Officer in discharging their governance and accountability responsibilities, by ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of ministry financial and management control systems, compliance with legislation, policies and procedures, and the accuracy and reliability of internal management and performance reporting.
back to top
||Total Job Points
||E4 43% 175
back to top
Business & Leadership Know-How
- F: The position requires extensive knowledge of financial and management accounting, financial systems development, audit, management control systems and risk management. The position also requires in-depth knowledge of ministry legislation, policies and procedures as well as CICA Public Sector Accounting Handbook, GAAP, GAAS, GOA accounting policies and procedures, and financial best practices, detailed knowledge of applicable legislation including the Financial Administration Act, Government Accountability Act and Government Organization Act.
Human Relations Know-How
- II: The Director provides leadership and strategic direction in the delivery of a broad spectrum of financial management, financial systems, audit and compliance services for the entire ministry as well as the ministry’s enterprise risk framework. The position is responsible for the integration of a wide range of financial management, audit and compliance functions across several diverse and complex programs and stakeholders including six PDD Community Boards, and the Federal Government.
- 3: The Director influences decisions, approaches and directions at senior levels, and provides leadership and direction to a team of managers and professionals.
- This position is responsible to deliver services for a highly complex area. Finding resolutions to financial issues requires the application of professional judgment and is assisted by legislation, financial policy and procedures as well external accounting standards and practices. At times, situations are variable requiring complex analytical developmental thinking. Issues are typically at a broader level with ministry wide impact and involve a variety of stakeholders with differing interests and priorities.
Freedom to Act
- E+: The Director is accountable for ministry financial reporting, financial operations and systems, and compliance and audit functions as well as the ministry’s Enterprise Risk Management Framework. The position exercises considerable discretion and professional judgment in the interpretation and application of financial management, compliance and risk management practices, policies and standards within the specific context of ministry programs and business requirements. The Director receives broad managerial direction and assistance from the SFO.
- 3: Impact of results is ministry wide.
- C: Position provides direction and consultation in the delivery of financial support services to the ministry and 6 PDD Community Boards.
back to top
Last Review / Update: 2013-10-22